These Tajin Shrimp Tacos are light and fresh as the weather warms up. These tacos have a bright chilli-lime-flavoured Tajin seasoned shrimp with a simple slaw with homemade avocado dressing. These little bites are perfect for enjoying while waiting for the sun to rise. Below are some suggestions for substitutions and add-ons.
WHAT IS TAJIN?
Tajin seasoning, a Mexican spice mix, contains chilli, lime, and salt. This simple spice blend is packed with flavour and can be sprinkled on fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, and anything else. This seasoning can be found in most grocery stores across the U.S. Scroll down and see step-by-step photos below for a picture of the bottle. 🙂
CAN I SUBSTITUTE THE SHRM?
You can use Tajin instead to season white fish like cod, tilapia or Mahi Mahi if you don’t love shrimp. The Tajin could also be used to season shredded or cubed chicken.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE THE AVOCADO DRESSING?
There are many ways to dress the slaw in these tacos. To make this slaw, I used a store-bought Guacamole Salsa with a bit of mayonnaise. Another option is to make my Cilantro-Lime Coleslaw.
COLESLAW MIX: A SHORTCUT
Half a head of purple cabbage was in my fridge, which I used to make this recipe. But, you can also use fresh green cabbage or bagged coleslaw mix (shredded carrots and cabbage). You might even try green cabbage because of how the purple cabbage’s natural pigment turns brown when mixed with the green avocado dressing.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ADD TO THE SHRM TACOS?
Tacos are so versatile. These tacos can be customized with many different ingredients. Here are some ideas:
- Roasted corn
- Cotija cheese
- Pickled red onion
- Avocado slices
- Hot sauce (I suggest Cholula)
- Radishes thinly sliced
- Pineapple or pineapple salsa
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TAJIN SHRIMP TACOS
You can keep your side dish simple with Charred Corn, Zucchini Salad or Cucumber, Black Bean Salad or Warm Corn, and Avocado Salad. You can also serve simple sides such as Quick Seasoned Black Beans or Cilantro Lime Rice.
TAJIN SHRIMP TACOS
These bright and zesty tacos are made with Tajin-seasoned shrimp and simple slaw, then dressed with homemade avocado dressing.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Three tacos per person
- 1 avocado ($0.89)
- 1/4 cup sour cream ($0.12)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise ($0.40)
- 1 clove of garlic ($0.08)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro ($0.20)
- 2 Tbsp of lime juice ($0.50).
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 12 oz. raw medium shrimp (41-60 g) $4.99
- 1/2 Tbsp Tajin Clasico Seasoning ($0.15)
- 1 Tbsp of cooking oil ($0.04)
- Half a head of red cabbage (4 cups shredded) $10.93
- 12 small corn tortillas ($1.20)
- 1 jalapeno (optional) ($0.10)
- First, make the avocado dressing. Blend the avocado, mayonnaise and mayonnaise with garlic, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Leave the dressing aside.
- The cabbage should be finely shredded so that the slaw can be mixed right before being served. If you are using jalapeno, thinly slice it.
- Toast the corn tortillas. This can be done on a gas stove or hot, dry skillet. To give the skillet that delicious corn flavour, the tortillas should only touch it for 10 seconds on each side. This helps to strengthen the tortillas.
- Place the shrimp in a colander if they are frozen. Then, run cool water over them until they are thawed. If possible, remove the tail and peel. Let the shrimp drain well. Then, place the Tajin in a bowl. Mix the Tajin with the shrimp.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium heat. Once the oil and skillet are hot, add the seasoned shrimp. Cook until opaque. This should take no more than three minutes. Remove the shrimp from the skillet if there is too much liquid. Let the liquid simmer for a few minutes to thicken. The heat should be turned off, and the shrimp should be tossed in the thickened sauce.
- Mix the chopped cabbage and about 1/2 cup avocado dressing together before serving. Stir until evenly coated. You can drizzle the remaining avocado dressing over the tacos.
- Make shrimp tacos by adding a few pieces of slaw to each tortilla. Then top it with some shrimp and a few slices of jalapeno. Enjoy!
Serving: 3 tacos Calories: 420.35 kcal Carbohydrates: 33.33 g Protein: 19.63 g Fat: 23.88 g Sodium: 752.5 mg Fiber: 7.83 g